[Unbound-users] I have a suggestion for it

Paul Wouters paul at nohats.ca
Fri Oct 11 20:54:34 UTC 2013

On Fri, 26 Jul 2013, Bryan Kirk wrote:

> Subject: [Unbound-users] I have a suggestion for it
>
> *subject*
>
> It should dump its cache to a file and load it the next time it is ran.

I had thought about doing this, but I'm not sure it is a good idea.

The current cache file format only lists TTL's, but it does not list the
datestamp of when the dump was made. Therefor, it is impossible to
discard any expired entries from the cache file when loading into
unbound.

I guess we could use the timestamp of the cache file, but is it worth it
to calculate/strip out all the expired entries?

also, this would cause a restart to not start from a fresh cache, which
might make it harder to get rid of "bad entries" faster than their TTL.

Paul