Analysing lookup failures.

Krist van Besien krist.vanbesien at gmail.com
Thu May 3 05:31:38 UTC 2018

Hello,

I have been experimenting on and off with unbound on my fedora laptop.
I am also considering it for a caching DNS for my home network.

But before I do that I need to figure out something first.

On my laptop (which sits on all kind of public and private WIFI
networks all the time) I sometimes run in to situations where name
resolution is unreliable.

The symptoms are that lookups will sometimes turn up empty or
incomplete. And I have so far not figured out how you can tease
unbound in to telling me why my request turned up empty.

Any suggestions?

So, if a "dig <some domain>" turns up empty, how do I find out why it
turned out empty?

Krist

krist.vanbesien at gmail.com
krist at vanbesien.org