can't bind socket: Permission denied for IPv6

nusenu nusenu-lists at riseup.net
Mon Jul 2 08:42:00 UTC 2018

W.C.A. Wijngaards via Unbound-users:
> I think it is harmless, but the permission denied shouldn't really be
> happening?  In the code repository is a patch that prints out the port
> number as well, perhaps the port number is somehow reserved for a purpose.
>
> No need to disable IPv6, but it is interesting to see what is permission
> denied, as unbound uses randomised port numbers once in a while.
> Unbound already avoids all IANA registered port numbers as well as <1024
> port numbers.  Also, those port numbers should not give permission
> denied, but a different failure (port already in use if it is in use).
> So, perhaps also something with FreeBSD is going on, perhaps the
> permissions system.

Thank you for the patch, I'm now running unbound with that diagnostics patch applied, lets see
what information we get.

I also have to mention that the error frequency decreases significantly after
applying the last patch (services/outside_network.c):

before: 1-3 error per day
after applying the patch: 1 error in 4 days

Will this be included in future unbound releases?

--
https://twitter.com/nusenu_
https://mastodon.social/@nusenu