local-zones

Ernie Luzar luzar722 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 18 13:02:09 UTC 2017

I have noticed something that doesn't seem right.

I added 1150 local-zones to unbound.

 From any LAN device browser trying to go to any of the those fqdn gets
"can't reach this page" message just like its suppose to.

Then I ran a script that reads that 1150 fqdn file doing the host
command. Again all those host name get nxdomain just like its suppose to.

But here is what don't seem right. Watching the modem connected to the
public internet I see the rapid blinking of the send/receive lights for
the duration the script is running. This happens ever time I run the
script.

It's my understanding that any dns request for any fqdn in unbound's
local-zone list is serviced by unbound without going to the public
internet. IE; I should not see the modem send/receive lights blinking
like mad.

Any ideas on why I am seeing this behaviors?