error: outgoing tcp: bind: Address already in use

Nick Urbanik nick.urbanik at optusnet.com.au
Tue Jul 25 06:43:00 UTC 2017

On 24/07/17 12:57 +0200, W.C.A. Wijngaards via Unbound-users wrote:
>On 21/07/17 05:29, Nick Urbanik via Unbound-users wrote:
>> On 06/07/17 18:13 +1000, Nick Urbanik via Unbound-users wrote:
>>> A DNS server running unbound 1.6.3 has these messages; any suggestions
>>> on what is happening?
>>>
>>> error: serviced_tcp_initiate: failed to send tcp query
>>> error: outgoing tcp: bind: Address already in use
>>
>> Could our setting of
>> max-udp-size: 3072
>> be too low?  Any guidelines for tuning this?
>
>I think unbound 1.6.4 port reuse option may solve it for you as Quirin
>suggests.

I will use 1.6.4 as soon as permitted :-)

>The max-udp-size is not important for this error you are
>seeing in logs.

But if the reply will not fit in 3072 bytes, then will unbound not
then need to use TCP?  And if there are a very large number of
they cannot easily be reused?

This problem arises on our resolvers, which are separate from the
caches; the caches forward to the resolvers.
Nick Urbanik http://nicku.org 808-71011 nick.urbanik at optusnet.com.au
GPG: 7FFA CDC7 5A77 0558 DC7A 790A 16DF EC5B BB9D 2C24  ID: BB9D2C24
I disclaim, therefore I am.