Compiling Unbound 1.6.0 on Ubuntu with pythonmodule

Matt Nelson unbound at silverark.co.uk
Tue Feb 7 23:14:21 UTC 2017

Hello,

I have tried compiling Unbound V1.6.0 --with-pythonmodule on Ubuntu
16.04 and CentOS7 and after a few days I haven't got it working yet!

If I install the version that comes from the package managers in Ubuntu
(1.5.8) then that works without issue.

When I build the python module in version 1.6.0 it creates the module,
but then when I run unbound it can't find it.

[1486464444] unbound[22131:0] notice: Start of unbound 1.6.0.
[1486464444] unbound[22131:0] warning: did not exit gracefully last time
(21788)
Could not find platform independent libraries <prefix>
Could not find platform dependent libraries <exec_prefix>
Consider setting $PYTHONHOME to <prefix>[:<exec_prefix>]
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<string>", line 1, in <module>
ImportError: No module named distutils.sysconfig
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<string>", line 1, in <module>
NameError: name 'distutils' is not defined
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<string>", line 1, in <module>
ImportError: No module named unboundmodule

I have tried various fixes including specifying the paths in the config,
and trying with python 3.5 instead of 2.7 but I keep getting the same
issue. I also made a symbolic link to the file in tot he unbound folder,
but that still showed the same error.

I've asked the same here:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/880749/cant-install-unbound-dns-server-with-pythonmodule

I am willing to pay for someone to have a look at my server. All I need
is server running Ubuntu with Unbound v 1.6.0 working with the python
module. Happy to pay an hourly rate or just pay a fixed amount if I
could get some help! I've built a large App that depends on this, and
5.8 was working perfectly.

I've tried:

./configure --with-pythonmodule

and various mixture ending in

./configure --prefix=/usr --sysconfdir=/etc  --disable-static
--with-pythonmodule --with-pyunbound --with-pidfile=/run/unbound.pid
PYTHON_LDFLAGS="-lpython2.7" PYTHON_VERSION="2.7"

They all show the same error that the module can't be found.

I did get a version working when targeting 3.5, but then it looks like
the module has an issue with encoding between C and Python. I've
submitted a bug about that one which shows the error:

  File "/opt/arkdns/arkdns/__init__.py", line 85, in operate
    name = qstate.qinfo.qname_str
  File "/usr/lib/python3/dist-packages/unboundmodule.py", line 132, in
_get_qname_str
    def _get_qname_str(self): return dnameAsStr(self.qname)

TypeError: in method 'dnameAsStr', argument 1 of type 'char const *'

I'm presuming the 2.7 issue is just something to do with my ./configure
for Ubuntu?

Kind Regards,

Matt