Timeout semantics of Unbound differ radically from Bind 9

Aaron Hopkins lists at die.net
Sun Apr 10 05:34:23 UTC 2016

yOn Sun, 10 Apr 2016, Dhalgren Tor wrote:

> However please note that Tor project has modified the eventdns code so
> it may not match exactly the behavior of the generic version.

The generic version seems to have 3 retries at 3 seconds each, before
considering the nameserver dead.  So Tor's version is more generous with the
timing.

> Interesting!  This explains why Tor relay DNS completely seizes up
> when GoDaddy null-routes a relay running Unbound.

It's worse than that, I think.  My read of this code suggests that if
unbound fails to answer for any single query 3 times in a row, eventdns
marks that copy of unbound as dead for at least 10 seconds and starts
exponentially backing off use of it, up to an hour.

This is a desirable characteristic if one of your 3 nameservers is broken;
you'll stop sending it requests and your users won't keep waiting on
nameserver who doesn't want traffic from you and blackholes you, you'll stop
throwing them a large volume of unwanted traffic.

According to https://www.unbound.net/documentation/info_timeout.html,
unbound should already be returning SERVFAIL immediately if it believes all
servers are dead.  And SERVFAIL should also be returns after all servers are
queried (and timed out) 5 times.  I suspect that can take more than 15
seconds and I don't see a way to put an upper bound on that, though.

> Now I have to look into whether that 64 in-flight limit might be a
> performance constraint for fast exit relays.  Might want a tunable to
> increase the limit.

It looks like eventdns will respect an /etc/resolv.conf entry for
"max-inflight: 1000" or similar. If you are limited by inflight requests,
this could be an easy workaround.

                                     -- Aaron