unbound and systemd

Sami Kerola kerolasa at iki.fi
Tue Oct 13 16:37:08 UTC 2015

Hello,

First of all sorry that I wrote patches using git, but that's the
version control system I like, so I took liberty to use unofficial
clone as basis for my work.

https://github.com/jedisct1/unbound.git

That said I have been recently working with patch set that will glue
unbound together with systemd. The patch set is not tested, but before
I go and make all perfectly shiny let me request if the upstream is
even interested of this kind change. In case not I won't bother making
all pitch perfect. See the changes below in git pull request format.

While writing the systemd changes the other thing I notice was, ehm, a
bit crude way of using autotools. Is there any interest to make
configure.ac && Makefile.am stuff to work, and include requirement to
pkg-config? Yep, I do ack adding pkg-config requirement is a bit
irritating, but it does work fairly well for many projects so perhaps
it is not that evil.  Assuming there is interest to make build tooling
nicer, and you wish I would take a lead on this, please let me first
finish the systemd stuff.

Cheers,
Sami

p.s. Could the upstream move using git, please, please, please, please?

The following changes since commit e3d4f1edfdae567b07cc75a9e3669de5bc8b1a6a:
  - iana portlist update. (2015-10-09 08:08:31 +0000)
are available in the git repository at:
  git://github.com/kerolasa/unbound.git systemd
for you to fetch changes up to ccda84c59e594f9c918996017ea045256ad64659:
  systemd: add do-daemonize note when running with systemd (2015-10-13
17:15:46 +0100)
Sami Kerola (12):
      build-sys: run autoreconf -f version 1.5
      build-sys: add some autotools output files to .gitignore
      build-sys: add systemd support to autotools
      build-sys: rerun autoreconf -f and libtoolize -f
      build-sys: add ./configure output files to .gitignore
      build-sys: update .gitignore after build
      systemd: make systemd activation work for udp sockets
      systemd: make systemd activation work for tcp sockets
      systemd: make systemd activation work for unix sockets
      systemd: add service and socket files
      systemd: add state notifications
      systemd: add do-daemonize note when running with systemd

 .gitignore                 |  204 +
 Makefile.in                |   12 +-
 aclocal.m4                 | 2762 +++++++------
 config.h.in                |    6 +-
 configure                  | 2192 ++++++----
 configure.ac               |    6 +-
 contrib/unbound.service.in |   16 +
 contrib/unbound.socket.in  |   16 +
 daemon/daemon.c            |   15 +-
 doc/example.conf.in        |    1 +
 ltmain.sh                  | 9656 +-------------------------------------------
 services/listen_dnsport.c  |   71 +-
 systemd.m4                 |   28 +
 util/configlexer.c         |   19 +-
 create mode 100644 .gitignore
 create mode 100644 contrib/unbound.service.in
 create mode 100644 contrib/unbound.socket.in
 mode change 100644 => 120000 ltmain.sh
 create mode 100644 systemd.m4

--
Sami Kerola