[Unbound-users] TTL 0: dropped msg from cache

Leen Besselink leen at consolejunkie.net
Thu Mar 13 15:03:34 UTC 2014

On Wed, Mar 12, 2014 at 10:14:41PM +0000, Miguel Clara wrote:
> I'm using "local_unbound" on FreeBSD 10.
>
> I have dnscrypt running on 127.0.0.2, and this seems to work fine, but I
> noticed my local queries which are forwarded to the local router running
> Asus Merlin firmware are getting giving me no answer and with verbose 5 I
> was able to see this error:
>
> "TTL 0: dropped msg from cache"
>
> Querying the server (router) directly gives a proper answer, and it is true
> that the TTL is "0", is this the expected behavior?

I've personally never seen a router do that (by default), but if it really
does that than could explains why Unbound might have a problem with it.

Because 0 is an extremely low value.

> I don't think I have a way to change the TTL for local domain under Asus
> Merlin, but I could look into it, still even if this is the expected
> behavior is this, is there anything I can change in the config to
> workaround it?

Have you tried setting cache-min-ttl in Unbound to something higher than the
default 0 ? Maybe that resolves the problem.