[Unbound-users] DNS query source IP/Port persistance and unbound vs djbdns dnscache

Paul Niemi paul.niemi at tbaytel.com
Wed Jun 11 15:39:55 UTC 2014

We are an ISP in the process of moving from djbdns dnscache to unbound.  We
have issues with DSL gateways that have buggy firmware (that is being
addressed, but it is a long/slow process) that causes DNS requests to have
a constant source IP/port.  We understand that each request should have a
new random source port.  With djbdns dnscache, we had to use a source NAT
on the queries to our DNS servers to address this issue, since requests
would be blocked by djbdns dnscache after a period of time.  We would like
to remove this source NAT with our move to unbound, but we are not sure how
unbound will respond to our problem gateways.

Will unbound see this constant source IP/port as unusual, and block further
DNS queries in a similar manner after a period of time?  In other words,
will we require the the source NAT with unbound, until we can fix the buggy
gateways?

Thank you,

Paul
<https://anywhere.exchserver.com/owa/redir.aspx?C=470ce06163a045ee9da8a0bc65439d0c&ur>

--

disseminate, distribute or copy this email. Please notify the sender
immediately by e-mail if you have received this email by mistake and delete