[Unbound-users] ~10% performance increase in worker_handle_request()

W.C.A. Wijngaards wouter at nlnetlabs.nl
Mon Jan 27 10:34:17 UTC 2014

Hi Robert,

On 01/25/2014 08:23 PM, Robert Edmonds wrote:
> W.C.A. Wijngaards wrote:
>>>
>>> OK, that makes sense.

>>> Yes, the problem is not that the localzone lookup occurs first,
>>> per se, but that the localzone lookup causes measurable
>>> contention with other threads.
>>
>> The lock is changed to a rwlock, so that the threads can all
>> acquire the readlock to answer queries.  That should reduce
>> contention?  The call order is not changed.
>
> Hi, Wouter:
>
> I benchmarked svn r3047 (spinlock?) against svn r3048 (rwlock) and
> the difference is not as dramatic.  Maybe 0.5% - 1% speedup.  It
> doesn't appear to harm performance at any level, but it's also not
> as dramatic as eliding the localzone lookup (~10%).

Too bad, I do not know how else to fix this.  Duplicating the
localzone data for every worker is a lot of memory overhead (as well
as code and maintenance overhead whilst manipulating the localzone
data), and I think less desirable.  It does reduce that lookup even
more because there are no locks on it in that case.  ( you can already
compile unbound today without locking and without threading, and run
unbound that uses processes that duplicate the entire cache for every
worker, and then also duplicate the localzone data without locks for
every worker ).

Still, it is good to know this is a performance (or CPU-) heavy-point
at this time.

Best regards,
   Wouter