[Unbound-users] unbound newbie setup

Subba Rao kvirt at tanucoo.com
Sun Dec 14 07:17:39 UTC 2014

Hi,

I am trying to setup "unbound" on my netbook which is a client on my
home network. I use this netbook for travel so the dhcp address I use
will be different at different places.  The netbook is running Linux
Mint 17.1 (Rebecca).

I installed "unbound" but am having problem with configuration which is
posted below.  My /etc/resolv.conf has the following entries

nameserver 127.0.0.1
search home.net

When I start my computer, the unbound starts as a service.  At this
point I cannot go anywhere on the Net or get any system updates.  Once I
stop the unbound service, I can go out onto the Internet and get updates.

Please let me know how to fix this problem.  My goal is to have a
recursive caching server on my netbook.

Thank you in advance for any help and advice.

Subba Rao

PS - I would also like to include AD blockers (at the bottom of the
config) into this configuration at a later stage.  At first I want
unbound to work.
------------- unbound.conf -------------

# Unbound configuration file for Debian.
#
# See the unbound.conf(5) man page.
#
# See /usr/share/doc/unbound/examples/unbound.conf for a commented
# reference config file.
#
# The following line includes additional configuration files from the
# /etc/unbound/unbound.conf.d directory.
include: "/etc/unbound/unbound.conf.d/*.conf"

server:
        verbosity: 1
## Specify the interface address to listen on:
#        interface: 10.0.0.1
## To listen on all interfaces use:
       interface: 0.0.0.0

root-hints: /etc/unbound/root.hints

forward-zone:
      name: "."

    # Google
    forward-addr: 8.8.8.8
    forward-addr: 8.8.4.4

    # OpenDNS
    forward-addr: 208.67.222.222
    forward-addr: 208.67.220.220

    # Level 3 Communications
    forward-addr: 4.2.2.1
    forward-addr: 4.2.2.2
    forward-addr: 4.2.2.3
    forward-addr: 4.2.2.4
    forward-addr: 4.2.2.5
    forward-addr: 4.2.2.6

# Blocking Ad Server domains. Google's AdSense, DoubleClick and Yahoo
# account for a 70 percent share of all advertising traffic. Block them.
#    local-zone: "doubleclick.net" redirect
#    local-data: "doubleclick.net A 127.0.0.1"
#    local-zone: "googlesyndication.com" redirect
#    local-data: "googlesyndication.com A 127.0.0.1"
#    local-zone: "googleadservices.com" redirect
#    local-data: "googleadservices.com A 127.0.0.1"
#    local-zone: "google-analytics.com" redirect
#    local-data: "google-analytics.com A 127.0.0.1"
#    local-zone: "ads.youtube.com" redirect
#    local-data: "ads.youtube.com A 127.0.0.1"
#    local-zone: "adserver.yahoo.com" redirect
#    local-data: "adserver.yahoo.com A 127.0.0.1"