[Unbound-users] Performance tuning tips?

lst_hoe02 at kwsoft.de lst_hoe02 at kwsoft.de
Thu Feb 7 15:10:35 UTC 2013

Zitat von Jaco Lesch <jacol at saix.net>:

> Andreas/Wouter
>
> Thanks for your insight and feedback.
>
> With the info/ideas from Andreas I have amended the parameters in
> the unbound.conf as follows:
>         # Optimise settings
>         num-threads: 64
>         #
>         msg-cache-slabs: 64
>         rrset-cache-slabs: 64
>         infra-cache-slabs: 64
>         key-cache-slabs: 64
>         rrset-cache-size: 1024m
>         msg-cache-size: 512m
>         infra-cache-numhosts: 100000
>         #
>         # Larger socket buffer
>         # For Solaris 11 set the following UDP parameter 1st:
>         # 'ipadm set-prop -p max_buf=8388608 udp'
>         so-rcvbuf: 8m
>         so-sndbuf: 8m
>         #
>         outgoing-range: 32768
>         num-queries-per-thread: 1024
>
> This improved performance significantly with a jump from 3600 qps to
> 6200 qps and the system was not sluggish with this "workload" at
> all. The magic seems to have been the combination of
> "outgoing-range" and "num-queries-per-thread", the system load did
> drop from 28 to around 21 directly after this change.
>
> I also did recompile with Wouter's suggestion of using only Solaris
> threads, but the gain was very little if any. Again this is
> something to keep in mind for the future? Also stayed with the 64
> threads for now, but at a later stage will test again at a full 128
> threads, when I feel brave again.

Hello

as said i doubt you will gain much with a high (>>4) number of
threads. Threads are used to prevent resovler stall if all slots
(num-queries-per-thread) are busy (data on the fly). With 64 threads
you have the potential of 64k not yet answered queries hammering your
upstream. I would suggest you start with some really low value like 4
threads and see if raising this value will raise the qps tested.

Regards

Andreas