[Unbound-users] unbound anycast / query reply address

Florian Lohoff f at zz.de
Wed Jun 6 12:51:24 UTC 2012

Hi,

i have done anycast DNS in the past with BIND and had no problems concerning
source address selection for replies or queries. Now i am trying to set this up
with unbound and i fail to see how to get the source address selection to work
correctly.

The anycast address is configured on lo:1 (linux) and get redistributed with
RIP.

Now unbound replys on queries to the anycast address but with the interface
address of the ethernet interface. I would have thought it always takes the
queries destination address as the replys source address and only leaves the
source address selection to the kernel when sending out queries itself.

I have seen "outgoing-interface" but thats the side which works e.g. sending
out queries.

I'd like unbound to be able to reply to all addresses e.g. the ethernet address
aswell so one can monitor liveness from remote which is not possible on the
anycast address for obvious reasons.

Flo