[Unbound-users] Can't resolve m.facebook.com

Phil Mayers p.mayers at imperial.ac.uk
Sun Feb 12 11:25:23 UTC 2012

On 02/11/2012 06:41 PM, Olafur Gudmundsson wrote:

> Given that the load-balancer in question in non DNS compliant why do
> extra work to work around the brokeness.
> If enough resolvers say broken the load-balancer will get fixed.

You're preaching to the choir; most (all?) people here agree with you.

But we're mostly providing service to others, who can override our
decisions and do not share our commitment to standards:

"I don't care. Change to software that works."

It's a classic prisoners dilemma, with all the standard causes and
solutions. Most effective solutions to the prisoners dilemma require
coercion or binding, which is (thankfully) absent on the internet.

However, this particular issue (AAAA lookups fail) will eventually die.
The paucity of IPv4 addresses will provide the coercion required to move
to IPv6; facebook will then be forced to fix their LB, and AAAA lookups
will work.