[Unbound-users] unbound daemon linking bug?

Tue Oct 11 15:11:18 UTC 2011

On 10/11/2011 04:54 PM, Paul Wouters wrote:

>>> But if a fix is applied to unbound-libs, the unbound daemon will still
>>> be using an old copy. Also, the results of unbound vs unbound-host could
>>> then be different.
>>
>> Seems to me that this is a thing that the package maintainer should
>> maintain.
>
>> Dynamic linking *may* increase paging thus decreasing performance.
>
> The package maintainer thinks upstream should reconsider their view, or
> perhaps back these up with actual numbers instead of hypothesis :)

Yes I do not think this is a big issue.  Dynamic linking and chroot
feature (on not wonderfully packaged environments) can be painful.

>> - --enable-allsymbols is indeed what you want.
>
> I tested this, and it works indeed. I'll add it to the new releases
> of unbound. Thanks!

Note that this means libunbound exports internal symbols, not just the
'libunbound API'.  Those symbols 'pollute' the linking environment of
the user program, i.e. conflict if they also use dns_cache_store() and
so on.

This is why the option is not enabled by default.  We could get around
this by having libunbound-internal and libunbound (that links to
libunbound-internal again).  And so on, but it gets more complicated,
static binaries can be very nice for system critical services in some
situations, so this option we have to also keep around...

Best regards,
   Wouter