[Unbound-users] Unbound Slow to Prime

Alan Gutierrez alan at prettyrobots.com
Sat Aug 6 20:19:40 UTC 2011

It used to be the case that I could flush the unbound cache and then resolve a name immediately. Now there is a long delay before I start to get results. It is especially bad on Fedora 15 running in VirtualBox on OS X Lion, but I'm also seeing it slow down on Fedora 15 at EC2. I updated root.hints, but that didn't seem to help. I can't make much sense of the debugging logging output. A couple weeks ago, flushing cache or restarting, you might notice a light delay on the first lookup, but now it takes a few minutes to get results other than timeouts.

server:
	verbosity: 2
	num-threads: 1
	interface: 127.0.0.1
	do-ip4: yes
	do-ip6: no
	do-udp: yes
	do-tcp: no
	username: "unbound"
	directory: "/etc/unbound"
	log-time-ascii: yes
	pidfile: "/var/run/unbound/unbound.pid"
	root-hints: "/etc/unbound/root.hints"
	harden-glue: yes
	harden-dnssec-stripped: yes
	harden-referral-path: yes
	use-caps-for-id: yes
	unwanted-reply-threshold: 10000000
	prefetch: yes
	prefetch-key: yes
	dlv-anchor-file: "/etc/unbound/dlv.isc.org.key"
	trusted-keys-file: /etc/unbound/root.key
	val-clean-additional: yes
	val-permissive-mode: no
	val-log-level: 1
remote-control:
	control-enable: yes
	server-key-file: "/etc/unbound/unbound_server.key"
	server-cert-file: "/etc/unbound/unbound_server.pem"
	control-key-file: "/etc/unbound/unbound_control.key"
	control-cert-file: "/etc/unbound/unbound_control.pem"

--
Alan Gutierrez - http://twitter.com/bigeasy - http://github.com/bigeasy