[Unbound-users] Unbound on Solaris 10 (Sparc) learning curves

Carsten Strotmann unbound at strotmann.de
Thu Jul 15 23:00:40 UTC 2010

 Hello Bruce,

On 7/15/10 4:41 PM, Hayward, Bruce wrote:

> Hi
>

> I am trying out unbound on a couple of our servers.  I compiled it
> onto a RHEL 5.5 running on a Dell 2970 without difficulties.
>

> I also have a fair number of Solaris 10 (Sparc) servers running on
> Netra 240s.

we have precompiled packages for Solaris 10 Sparc that you can use at

http://support.menandmice.com/download/unbound/solaris/sparc/

There are different "flavors", Package Flags:
e - compiled against LibEvent in /usr/local/libevent
f - compiled in forked mode (non-threaded)
t - compiled from trunk sources (non-stable, non-release)
v - compiled against LibEv in /usr/local/libev

These packages install into "/usr/local/unbound-<version>", you need to
symlink to "/usr/local/unbound"

With this scheme, you can have multiple versions and flavors of unbound
installed and you can switch them by changing the symlink.

> This compiles fine using the options of:
>
> ./configure --prefix=/opt/unbound --libexecdir=/opt/unbound/lib
> --sysconfdir=/var/unbound/etc --sharedstatedir=/var/unbound
> --localstatedir=/var/unbound
> --with-conf-file=/var/unbound/etc/unbound.conf
> --with-run-dir=/var/unbound --with-chroot-dir=/var/unbound
> --with-pidfile=/var/unbound/run/unbound.pid --with-username=unbound
> --with-ssl=/usr/local/ssl/ --without-pthreads --with-solaris-threads
>

> 1)     Can you point me to the best ./configure options for Solaris 10?
>
> a.      – as I sure would like to get the best I can out of these
> aging Sun servers – Thanks on that

There is no universal "best" option, wether threaded or forked, with our
without Libev or Libevent depends on your traffic patterns. We have seen
best results in the large provider space with the "e" (libevent,
threaded) and "ef" (libevent, forked) versions.

> 2)     Also anything that explains the various ./configure options in
> general

-prefix=/opt/unbound --libexecdir=/opt/unbound/lib
--sysconfdir=/var/unbound/etc --sharedstatedir=/var/unbound
--localstatedir=/var/unbound
--with-conf-file=/var/unbound/etc/unbound.conf
--with-run-dir=/var/unbound --with-chroot-dir=/var/unbound
--with-pidfile=/var/unbound/run/unbound.pid

This options all sets the directory and file-locations

--with-username=unbound

This sets the username to use by the unbound process when it gives up
superuser (root) rights.

--with-ssl=/usr/local/ssl/

This is where the configure will find the OpenSSL installation

--without-pthreads --with-solaris-threads

This will disable the Posix Threads and will enable the Solaris own threads.

Best regards

Carsten Strotmann
Men & Mice