[Unbound-users] Unbound on FreeBSD

Artis Caune artis.caune at gmail.com
Fri Nov 27 13:05:04 UTC 2009

2009/11/25 Gareth Hopkins <gabbawp at gmail.com>:
> Hi,
>
> I am deploying a couple of unbound hosts on FreeBSD 7.2 Stable and was
> wondering if there are any OS tweaks you would recommend to get the best
> performance. Will be doing around 10000 qps at peak times.

Hi,

You should watch for full socket buffers:
    # netstat -s -p udp
and increase them if you see drops:
    # sysctl kern.ipc.maxsockbuf=1048576
    # /usr/local/etc/rc.d/unbound restart

btw in unbound 1.4.0 (it's already in ports) you can specify:
    so-rcvbuf: 4m

Also if you are using firewall, watch for number of state table
entries and lower udp.* timeouts for incoming queries and outgoing
recursion rules.

--
Artis Caune