[Unbound-users] RR ttl in dump_cache

Michael Tokarev mjt at tls.msk.ru
Tue Jul 7 14:05:13 UTC 2009

Hello.

I noticed the (relatively) new dump_cache/load_cache
commands of unbound-control, and started experimenting.

And immediately come across an.. issue.  The TTL for
each RR is expressed as time-to-live since "now", it
is not an expiration time. For this reason it's not
possible to save the cache and load it back on restart
for example, because ttl in that case will be invalid.

I wonder if it's a good idea to use absolute expire
time in place of TTL in dump/load_cache format.  If
nothing else, prefixing the field with an equal sign
will do the trick (=1234567 to mean absolute time,
1234567 - current - to mean ttl as it is now).

And in general, do people use dump/load_cache to
start with?

Thanks!

/mjt