[Unbound-users] Feature request - detailed statistics about unbound

Wouter Wijngaards wouter at NLnetLabs.nl
Tue Sep 16 08:49:37 UTC 2008

Hi Stephane, Beastie,

I am making a compromise.  More statistics, but not the amount nor
detail that a dedicated package like DSC provides.  Without webpages
with pretty graphs and data selection user interface; that does not
belong inside the nameserver.  More similar to the BIND8_STATS in NSD
than the DSC package.

As config option 'extended-statictics'; default turned off (because of
speed).

I think:
types of queries, answer error codes, validation status, and also
spoof-nearmiss-counter (a plain unwanted traffic counter).

$ unbound-control stats
thread0.num.queries: 1234
thread0.requestlist.exceeded: 0
thread1.num.queries: 1345
thread1.requestlist.exceeded: 1
total.num.queries: 12345
total.requestlist.exceeded: 1
num.query.type.AAAA: 12
num.answer.secure: 123
num.answer.bogus: 23
unwanted.replies: 200000

It does not examine the query names, server names, or addresses, as that
creates a lot of extra code (and Stephane, I hear you, that is a problem).

Is this format easy to use as input for rrdtool, cacti, munin, ... ?
I could also print out:
unwanted_replies=200000

Best regards,
   Wouter