[Unbound-users] serving stub-zones authoritatively

David Blacka davidb at verisign.com
Wed Oct 1 15:14:03 UTC 2008

On Oct 1, 2008, at 10:22 AM, martin f krafft wrote:

> Is it possible to serve stub-zones authoritatively? It makes sense
> for unbound not to clear the authoritative flag for queries it
> proxied to stub-zones, doesn't it?

You don't proxy to stub-zones, though.  All a stub-zone is is a non-
standard location for particular zone.  That is, "look here for zone
A, instead of here".

What I think you are getting at is that it should be possible to have
unbound and nsd running on a box, and have that box be a resolver for
most things or most clients, but actually be authoritative for the
stuff running on nsd.  Or, to put it another way, run in a mode that
is like what you can do with BIND.

To do this, unbound would have to act as a true proxy for the zone
running in nsd.  Even setting up a set of forward-zones isn't quite
this, because unbound will still do recursion for you.

Of course, I could be projecting an earlier conversation I had with
Wouter onto this one :)

--
David Blacka                          <davidb at verisign.com>
Sr. Engineer          VeriSign Platform Product Development