[Unbound-users] how modules work?

Wouter Wijngaards wouter at NLnetLabs.nl
Tue May 6 09:47:35 UTC 2008

Sergey Matveychuk wrote:

> We need some balancing with DNS. I'm looking how to implement it without
> writing an own DNS server.

Adding a module may work for that. I would like unbound to be easily
extensible, however, I did not want to bloat with useless features. If
the design can be improved to help module incorporation, I would like to
help.
> And cache implemented not as a module?

No. The caches are accessible from the module_environment struct. The
caches can be read or written by modules.

This is necessary for things like getting and setting lameness by the
iterator, or keeping track of timeouts.
> Yes, thanks. It's a good start point for me.

Cool.
> BTW, anyway we plan to try unbound as high loaded cached dns for our
> company instead of bind.
> And I've made a port for FreeBSD - dns/unbound.

Wow! Thanks!

Best regards,
   Wouter