[Unbound-users] how modules work?

Wouter Wijngaards wouter at NLnetLabs.nl
Tue May 6 07:40:02 UTC 2008

Sergey Matveychuk wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I'm traversing through code. But it's still unclean for me how modules
> work. Can you give a short description of the design? Is it easy to add
> an own one?

Hi Sergey,

Modules process the queries from the clients, the results are cached.
There are two modules now, they are run from the 'mesh' called by the
'worker'. A module is a state machine, and is activated by events such
as the initial query event, and subsequent authority-server-reply
events, or subquery-done events. A module has access to the module
environment (module.h) as the thread-specific and global resources it
can access (the caches and some function callbacks to accomplish tasks
such as create new queries and send packets to servers).

The design makes modules separate from the rest of the code, but unbound
as now has been specifically written for the modules it has now. What
sort of module do you want to write?

Basically a new module sits best at the start of the module list; it
sees new queries; passes them to the next module for handling; and can
then post process the results when the next module is done and provides
an answer.

For example the validator module sits in front of the iterator module.
The validator sees the initial query that needs processing, but does
nothing with queries but pass them to the iterator. Then when the
iterator is done, and has a reply, the validator is woken up again. The
validator then starts to validate the response (possibly creating
sub-queries for additional information). The results from the validator
are stored in the cache (it updates the 'security' variable of the
result that the iterator already stored in the cache). Then the
validator returns its answer. Since it is the first module; the module
runner mesh takes this as a clue to send that reply to the DNS clients
waiting for this query result.

The code for modules is now cleanly in the validator/ and iterator/
directories. The worker/ knows about what modules exist and loads the
modules into the query runner mesh.

Does this answer your question? There is plenty of doxygen documentation
as well, and also I can recommend running unbound in very high verbosity
on a simple query and reading through the logs.

Best regards,
   Wouter